- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates and Application Deadlines
About the Program
The Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement program is offered in partnership with Rowan’s NCATE accredited College of Education. It fosters an understanding of students with special needs and provides the pedagogical skills to accommodate them. This program is ideal for those who already possess NJ state standard teaching certification and wish to earn the Endorsement in Teacher of Students with Disabilities.
Curriculum - Program Code: .COGE-TCHDIS / Major Code: G609
The TOSD:GE is a part-time program offered in an accelerated online format. This endorsement requires the completion of 21 graduate semester hours (7 courses) in 3.5 to 4 consecutive semesters. Some courses require classroom field activities and special placements which will be arranged for by the College of Education Office of Field Experiences.
The following courses make up the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement program. Each course is scheduled in 8 week modules with each week of work starting every Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. and ending every Monday at midnight (Eastern Standard time). The graduate-level courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally. Click on the courses below to view available course descriptions.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|SPED 08515||Curriculum, Instruction, Transition in Special Education||3|
|SELN 10585||Educational Assessment in Special Education||3|
|SPED 08555||Education and Psychology of Exceptional Learners||3|
|SELN 10581||Implementing Positive Behavior Strategies||3|
|READ 30530||Teaching Reading to Exceptional Children||3|
|SPED 08520||Clinical Experiences in Special Education||4|
|SPED 10592||Clinical Seminar in Special Education||2|
|Total Semester Hours: 21|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Graduate Endorsement program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Completed Graduate-level CGCE Application Form. Download the PDF or click here to apply online.
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives
- Minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- COE TOSD Field Experience Placement Form (pdf)
- A copy of initial NJ teaching certificate (Standard or CEAS only) in Elementary Education or appropriate content area. If your certificate was issued prior to 1994, you must also submit scores from the Praxis II content specialization test.
- Interview may be required (If an interview is required, applicants will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Writing sample (completed during interview)
Start Dates and Application Deadlines
Below is a list of Graduate Endorsement TOSD anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Spring 2014 – Module 3||Early January||12/01/2013|
|Summer 2014 – Module 5||TBD||04/15/2014|
Tuition and Costs
$700 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2013/2014 and is subject to change)