- About the Program
- Curriculum – including courses
- Admission Requirements
- Start Dates and Application Deadlines
About the Program
The Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study (CAGS) in Principal Preparation program meets the requirements specified by the state of New Jersey, including a 300-hour internship, and is designed to serve the person who has already earned a Master's degree in some field and a Supervisor Certificate, and who wishes to qualify as a principal in the public schools. There are two tracks available:
Track I is for those candidates with a Masters Degree, Supervisor's Certificate, and 5 Years or More of Supervisory Experience. Track I students are required to complete 7 courses.
Track II is for those candidates with a Masters Degree, Supervisor's Certificate, 5 Years of Full-Time Teaching Experience, and 0-5 Years of Supervisory Experience. Track II students are required to complete 8 courses.
Teachers in the state of New Jersey may apply to the Principal Preparation CAGS program through the New Jersey Teacher Outreach Program (NJTOP). For more information including NJTOP tuition rates click here.
Curriculum - Program Code: .COCAG-PRIN / Major Code: G628
Track I: Total semester hours required graduate work for program completion: 21 s. h.
Thesis Requirement: None
Track II: Total semester hours required graduate work for program completion: 24 s. h.
Thesis Requirement: None
The graduate-level courses listed here are not official and are subject to change. For an official list of available courses please visit the CGCE section tally. Click on the courses below to view available course descriptions.
|Course Number||Course Title||Semester Hours|
|EDAM 27521||Introduction to the Principalship||3|
|EDAM 27559||Law & Ethics for School Leadership||3|
|EDSU 28523||Building Organizational Capacity||3|
|EDAM 27535||School Finance & Records||3|
|EDAM 27510||Change for School Improvement||3|
|EDAM 27600||Practicum/Seminar I in Administration & Supervision||3|
|EDAM 27601||Practicum/Seminar II in Administration & Supervision||3|
|EDSU 28522||Instructional Leadership & Supervision (Track II only)||3|
|Total Semester Hours: 21-24|
The following is a list of items required to begin the application process for the CAGS in Principal Preparation program. There may be additional action or materials required for admission to the program. Upon receipt of the materials below a representative from the CGCE Admissions Processing Office will contact you with confirmation or indicating any missing items.
- Completed Graduate-level CGCE Application Form. Download the PDF or click here to apply online.
- $65 (U.S.) non-refundable application fee
- Master's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited institution of higher learning
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended (regardless of number of credits earned)
- Current professional resume
- Typewritten statement of professional objectives (must include reasons for pursuing the Principal Certification)
- Typewritten statement of leadership experience (must include examples of previous leadership experience and abilities within specific positions/projects)
- Two letters of recommendation
- While the official Recommendation Form is required, an actual letter from the recommender is preferred.
- Letters or recommendation should be from the candidate's superintendent, supervisor, or from a professional colleague attesting to the candidate's potential as a principal.
- Copy of current NJ state supervisor certificate
- Copy of NJ Standard teaching or educational services certificate
- CGCE CAGS in Principal Preparation Track Declaration Form (pdf)
- Optional interview (If selected for an interview, the applicant will be contacted directly by the Faculty Admissions Committee. The interview can be in person or via telephone.)
- Track I: A letter from the applicant's district superintendent attesting that the candidate has at least 5 years of full-time experience in a position that requires the supervisor certificate.
- Track II: A letter from the applicant's district superintendent attesting that the candidate has successfully completed both:
- 1. At least 5 years of full-time teacher; and,
- 2. 0-5 years of full-time experience in a position that requires the supervisor certificate.
Start Dates and Application Deadlines
Below is a list of Principal Preparation CAGS anticipated start dates. The start dates indicated are based on the university calendar or the CGCE schedule. Your actual first day of class will depend on the course sequence which will be provided by a CGCE Enrollment Advisor once you have matriculated in the program.
|Entry Term & Module||Start Date(s)||Application Deadline(s)|
|Spring 2014 – Module 4||Early March||02/15/2014|
Tuition and Costs
$700 per semester hour
(this rate applies to academic year 2013/2014 and is subject to change)